Sections


Authors

Cheap Eats on Campus: Food Survival Tips for Finals Season

Cheap Eats on Campus: Food Survival Tips for Finals Season

    Finals season is almost here, and that can only mean one thing: empty cafeteria accounts. This is the time of the semester where the 80 percent of Andrews University’s student body who’ve nearly drained their cafe accounts are frantically seeking out the other 20 percent whose impressively high balances would suggest they’ve been hibernating through the majority of the semester. If you’re one of this 80 percent, and if you can’t find a generous friend you can mooch off of, we’ve constructed a list of venues on campus which offer free food at various times during the week.

Eat, Talk, Chill at Campus Ministries: This event takes place every Tuesday from 7 to 8 p.m. in the Campus Ministries office. It provides students with an opportunity to eat, talk and chill, just as its name implies. Students are given the opportunity to relax and hang out with their peers, chaplains and student chaplains. And free food (such as chips and dip, cookies or other munchies) is always up for grabs.

Departmental Assemblies: Several departments on campus, such as the English and History & Political Science departments, host weekly departmental assemblies where students and staff can come together and build community via food therapy. These events are generally reserved for the students registered with those particular majors, as the point of the event is to develop connections within the department. Other departments, such as the Religion and and Behavioral Science departments, are known for serving food at random days throughout the week. Check in with your department to see what kinds of perks are available for you.

Student Success Center: One of the trademarks of finals season is the free food offered by the Student Success Center in their office, located at the south entrance of Nethery Hall. Traditionally, this food has consisted of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, with tasty sides like cookies, pretzels and chips. They’ve also been reported to have served “walking tacos,” which is essentially a haystack in a bag, consisting of a fun-size bag of Fritos that you add beans, rice, veggie meat, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, salsa and other various toppings. There is no certainty of what they’ll serve this year, or when they’ll start.  

University Towers: Every Thursday evening from 8:30 to 9:30 p.m., University Towers deans serve students homemade comfort food in the lobby between the Burman Hall and Damazo Hall. The culinary options vary from week to week, ranging from egg sandwiches to curry to soup. The quality, however, does not vary, and students are almost guaranteed to walk away blissfully satisfied, with anthems of “Let’s all be fat and happy” ringing in their heads.

University Sabbath School: USS takes place on Saturdays at 10 a.m. in the Campus Center’s Recreation Center. They offer fresh pancakes (with toppings), as well as insightful conversation and fellowship.

    These are just a few of the options available for students who are financially and nutritionally suffering right now. Food is also often offered at club events and vespers programs, and students can also get up to three Dining Services account extensions per semester. Also, begging is always an option. The best strategy is simply to keep your eyes peeled, ear to the ground, and mouth hanging open, because opportunities can be found are everywhere.

 

Interviews with Acrofest Gymnasts

Interviews with Acrofest Gymnasts

Petition for Meier Health Club Deadlift Competition

Petition for Meier Health Club Deadlift Competition